DayStar Quark H-Alpha Filter Eyepiece for Chromosphere - DSZ4C
DayStar Quark H-Alpha Filter Eyepiece for Chromosphere - DSZ4C is backordered and will ship as soon as it is back in stock.
DayStar Quark H-Alpha Filter Eyepiece for Chromosphere
- 656nm H-Alpha Filter with 12mm Blocking
- Tuned for Chromosphere Viewing
- Use Astronomical OTAs for Solar Viewing
- ±0.5Å Wing Shift Tuning
- 2-Element Telecentric 4.3x Barlow Lens
- Optical Coatings Tuned to H-Alpha Band
- Best Performance with f/4-f/8 Refractors
- No OTA Aperture Limitations
- 5 VDC, 1.5A Micro-USB Port
Daystar Filters designed this version of the QUARK H-Alpha Eyepiece Solar Filter specifically for viewing chromosphere details. The chromosphere's surface structure behaves differently in active regions than quiet areas, where magnetic field lines are stronger, so viewing this portion of the sun provides a constantly-changing observational experience.
This all-in-one hydrogen-alpha filter is engineered to eliminate unnecessary components which reduced the size and weight, and enabled it to fit in a compact form factor that simply inserts into 1.25" or 2" diagonals and accepts 1.25" eyepieces. This design enables the use of nighttime telescopes for solar viewing. In addition to the tunable H-alpha filter, the Quark also functions as a 4.3x Barlow lens, with a 2-element lens system designed to be telecentric which flattens the field of view and reduces parallax, and optical coatings that are optimized for the 656nm H-alpha wavelength.
While there are no OTA aperture limitations, Daystar recommends the use of UV/IR cut filters or front-mount energy rejection filters on OTAs over 80mm of for long-duration solar viewing sessions. For best results, they suggest using refractor-style scopes with focal ratios between f/4-f/8, and you can enjoy full-disk viewing with focal lengths up to 450mm. The filter is powered via a micro-USB port, and Daystar includes a power cord and an AC adapter to meet the high-power requirements of 5 VDC 1.5A. To enable its use at home and abroad, a set of international outlet plugs is provided with adapters for the US, UK, EU, and Australia.
- Hydrogen-alpha bandpass
- Integrated 12mm blocking filter
- 20mm clear etalon aperture
- Tuned to 0.5-0.3Å for viewing chromosphere details
- Tuning knob allows for ±0.5Å wing shift for Doppler-shift compensation
- Markers at every 0.1Å for reference and repeatability
- LED indicators for power, warming, ready, and fault
- Integrated 4.3x Barlow lens
- Lens and optical coatings designed specifically for 656nm H-alpha wavelength
- Two-element telecentric lens design keeps light waves parallel to flatten the field of view and reduce parallax as magnification increases
Recommended OTA Specifications
- No aperture limitation
- Best performance with f/4-f/8 refractors
- Full-disk viewing on refractors up to 450mm focal length
- For apertures over 80mm (3.1"), or for long-duration solar viewing, an UV/IR cut filter should be used for energy rejection
- Not suited for off-axis applications
- 5 VDC, 1.5A micro-USB port
- 90-240 VAC wall adapter
- Set of international outlet plugs for US, UK, EU, and Australia
More About the DayStar Quark Hydrogen-Alpha Filter Eyepiece...
The All-In-One design of the DayStar Quark marries high quality components of a telecentric barlow, adapters, snouts and Daystar hydrogen alpha filter into one simple assembly.
For use on refractors of F/4 to F/9, the user needn't worry about configurations. Just insert the Quark in your diagonal, add an eyepiece and view.
The Quark contains a custom Daystar Instruments 4.2X telecentric barlow lens fully optimized in coatings and optical design specifically for the Hydrogen Alpha wavelength. This highly specialized telecentric lens offers superior field flatness.
Exact filter bandpass will vary based on final telescope application, so DayStar Quark assemblies are qualified to show either prominence or surface (chromosphere) details (this model). No specific FWHM bandpass is designated. Now observers can buy a filter based on their desired observing goals instead of their budget.
The fully optimized design eliminates the need for any adapters. It's all combined in one lightweight eyepiece-sized device. The compact design eliminates unnecessary components, weight and associated costs. DayStar even reduced power consumption, so the Quark can now operate all day off a small, palm-sized optional battery pack. Baffles have been added to increase contrast and AR coatings are optimized for the 656nm wavelength.
DayStar Quark Highlights
- 1.25" or 2.0" combo eyepiece snouts with safety indent slot directly into your diagonal
- Standard 1.25 eyepiece drawtube output with optional 2" and SCT accessories available.
- Brass compression ring to protect eyepiece.
- Uses USB power, 5v 1.5amp
- Includes 90-240VAC wall adapter with international plug adapters.
- Tuning knob allows wing shifting +/- 0.5Å with detents at every 0.1Å
- LED indicator for power, warming, ready, fault
- 5 year warranty
- Optional 8-hour battery pack available
- Integrated, fully baffled 2 element telecentric 4.2X barlow optimized for 656nm
- Integrated 12mm blocking filter
- 21mm clear filter aperture
- Best performance with F/4 - F/8 refractors
- Full disk viewing possible on refractors up to ~450mm focal length refractors
- No aperture limitations. May be used on larger refractors for higher magnification views
- Ships in convenient Twist-Case for safe, dust-free storage.
- Not suited for off-axis application.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely encrypted during transmission. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.
Before you go...
Here's a discount code to take $10 off any order over $250.
Code expires soon.